The New Pope
FrankB
2005-04-12 03:16:55 UTC
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:53:52 -0700, "cat herder"
The Pope did a lot of good things and was apparently
a man of high moral character. He and others did not
handle the molestation in the most forthright manner and
it is still a disgrace, imo. No mention has been made of
this in the discussion about what the mindset of the next
Pope should be.
This was a discussion?
LBG
It is apropriate to bring it up, since the focus of the next
papacy is supposed to be the rising tide of anti-christian
sentiment in the world.
. here we go again..
Could you develop that one please ?
I ask you that because people who share the same angst for a change,
people that are not necessary of any confession at all, well they
also start to utter things like "islamification of the West".
Do you think there's a link in between "anti-christian sentiment"
and the fear of an islamification
(a topic that made much noise after the pope was assaulted in 1981)?
I don't want to make you type things you didn't but,the role of the
millenium pope;
a firewall against islam to serve dangerous people who divide the world
with an axis
of good/evil and speak of a ...'crusade' !?
Tell me ? When was the last defenestration in your area ?
Dude, I am relaying a 30 second news byte I heard from a Vatican
representative, not stating a platform. Take a pill already.
O look, a medication-lame :)
It's a colloqiualism.
Quid ?

In vere: colloquium, in colloquii.
--
Marsouille de la Souillure :
"You are thinking from the wrong side of the tracks euro-boy."
Martin Swain
2005-04-12 19:31:15 UTC
Post by FrankB
[...]
colloquialism

n : a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written
communication that seeks to imitate informal speech

Further: it is generally marked by geographical location, i.e. what is
commonly called slang.

I was trying to (gently) show that you missed my point, apparently due
to cultural differences.

When I say 'take a pill', I am framing the derogatory remark in terms of
drug abuse, not medical assistance. The crux being, I am addressing you
as an equal, in effect saying 'hey what the fuck are you doing?'

Whereas, you seem to have interpreted my remark as a different kind
of statemement; more like, 'hey dummy you forgot to take your meds', in
which case I would not be addressing you as an equal. Given the context
(usenet) I can understand your missaprehension, nevertheless, where I
come from if I said 'take a pill', I would generally be understood.
If I wanted to indicate the other I would have to say; 'take your meds'.

Since you are a non-native English speaker, I do not resent having to
explain myself twice. In fact, I have nothing better to do at all.

Now if you could possibly be polite enough to stop addressing me in a
language I have never given you any reason to think I might understand,
it would remove a monstrous burden from my mind.